I Gave Up My iPhone

Smartphone CellPhone Coffee Tea Cup iPhone

I really did it.

I gave up my iPhone.

And now it has been over two weeks since I sold it.

You may be asking, “why would you do such a crazy thing?”

Well, my rationale was that I wasn’t using my iPhone as an actual “phone.”  Barely anyone called me. Except for those cruise people. Apparently, I was winning a trip to the Bahamas almost on a daily basis. And I got to a point where I did not even answer my cellphone when it rang. I just thought it was the ship calling me again. But because I stopped answering my phone I started missing important phone calls.

You see, I really only used my iPhone to text or to check what was going on in Facebook world and Twitter land. Then, I got into Instagram and grew a love for sharing my uninteresting pictures. Plus, I could check all four of my email accounts in one place (yes, I have a lot of email addresses, especially because of my contract work). I would only go on the Internet using our home wifi or hotel wifi if we were out of town. That iPhone was a pretty handy little device!

So I asked myself, why do I have this phone if I never even really use it as an actual phone? Why am I spending about $50/month for it when I don’t need to be?

People were shocked when I said I was giving up my smartphone. Especially since I am a blogger and bloggers need to be connected all the time. Well, not ALL the time but it sure can feel like it. I was shocked too.

You see, the iPhone was constantly attached to my hands. I would check it first thing in the morning while eating my oatmeal. Then again part way through the morning and again at lunch. You see my point. I was even checking it throughout my kid’s extra curricular activities. It was just a constant thing that I felt I needed to pick up and look at. It started to pull me in and drag me deeper and deeper into the abyss. I know I need to learn more life vs technology balance. I thought the best way to do achieve this balance was to cut it off cold turkey at first. Maybe not the best decision I ever made.

Someone contacted me and actually wanted to buy the iPhone. And she did. She followed through. I had many people say they wanted to buy it but backed out. I was getting to a point where I was almost convinced I would keep the phone.

As part of my original plan I was going to replace the iPhone with a tablet. I bought one but it was not working properly and had to send it back. So, I don’t have any other devices to access the Internet except for the laptop and the desktop computer (which is located in the dungeon).

Do I miss it? Heck yes! It was so easy to just pick up and check out what everyone was doing. Being a stay at home mom it was my way of connecting with the world outside of my home (especially since we have been experiencing two months of -40 to -50 degree below weather).

There are days when I miss the ease of sharing my boring photos or tweeting with friends. What I miss most especially is texting with my brother. It was my main form of communication with him. So, I may need to just get a simple cellphone (are there such things anymore?) just to do that. And maybe to ease my dad’s mind.

What I do not miss, the constant pull I felt to pick up my phone and check it. Although, that has somewhat been transferred to my laptop. But that is neither here nor there. ;)

Sometimes I think our world is a little too connected. I remember going out one night with a bunch of girl friends who I had not chatted with in a long time. I sat at the table and tried to have a conversation with them. Out of about eight of us, only two of us were not constantly on our smartphones. I understand that if you have kids at home you may want to occasionally check in. Being a mom myself I figured I would only check my phone a couple times throughout the evening, otherwise it would spend the rest of the evening inside my purse or jacket pocket.

I was originally going to challenge myself to see if I could make it a year without a cellphone. That may be a pipe dream. I can honestly say that I am sure I will not last that long. However, as time goes by I find that it gets a little easier to live without it.

The other side of me wants to cave… and soon.

Would you give up your cell or smartphone?

Image Source: freedigitalphotos.net & Witthaya Phonsawat

1. SL
    February 1, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Nope! My iThing is my best thing and I love it dearly. My laptop is all but dead. I use my phone for everything. It is my family’s “home phone”.

And I, for one, miss seeing your “uninteresting photos”. ;) Especially the ones of the snow. *hint hint*

February 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM

LOL! After this weekend away it was so hard seeing everyone else on the iThings and not me. hehe!

2. AlwaysARedhead
    February 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I love my Blackberry Z10, I use it for everything, phone calls to my kids away at university, my brother, my sister, etc. We do have a landline only because it is a package deal with our cable & internet, we barely use it. It is all about balance, what you use & what you need.

February 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I need to learn balance. hehe!

3. Kim@Co-Pilot Mom
    February 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Honestly, I would have a hard time giving up my phone. I love it. (I do!)
    But… I do agree that we are so connected as a society that we sometimes lose focus on those around us. For example, if I am out with friends, I make it a point not to take my phone out of my bag unless I hear a text from home or need to communicate with home for some reason. I like to focus on the people in front of me since, chances are, I don’t get to see them very often.

February 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I can’t believe it has now been 4 weeks since I gave it up. I am still missing it and feel myself caving more and more each day. LOL! Thank you for stopping by my blog Kim! I am so honoured to have you here to read my posts. :)

4. Connie
    February 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Well done! I must say, I am impressed that you did this. I often wonder how much extra time I would gain by not constantly checking my iphone. I don’t think that I’m ready to quit it cold turkey, but I am thinking about declaring “no phone days” and trying not to check my phone as much in front of my daughter – if only to try to set a good example.

February 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM

It’s been 4 weeks today and am shocked I have lasted this long. I probably will get a new phone in the next few weeks but not sure if I should go back to a smartphone. But yet, they don’t really have any phones that don’t connect to the Internet in some way. LOL!

• Trish
        February 12, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I am saddened that as a culture / people that we cannot say “I’m not going to use a smart phone” for x time!! It’s only be a few years since smartphones have been around and give us such instant access to things 24/7 that I believe we just do need to have !! I’m not that old, I I use technology. However, I was raised in a time and community that socializing meant getting together with family and friends to ‘enjoy their company. We only had a wall telephone (and a party line the early years) so that was restricted use as well. When I see people stopped in a grocery store, at a red light sitting in the drivers seat, in classes (I am a teacher ) and paying attention to an electronici device to the oblivion of what is going on around them eg: \(like learning, talking to real people.. or getting the shopping done in a reasonable time) and DRIVING only. I wonder what has happened to our world!! I have a cell phone (flip one and I answer it when it is family and I am able (not when I am teaching or driving and in charge of moving my vehicle on roads that are shared with other drivers . And mostly I do not bring it to our family’s dinner table (my daughter had yet to learn this!!!!!!!). Like a poster said above, it’s about balance and some are better at balancing life with a lit-up pixels!!

• Trish
        February 12, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Brandy . they do have phones that do not connect to the internet. Mine does not. and although I considered it when it first became available. as months and the few years went on. I ‘m determined to not EVER get a phone that way. I believe it can wait to view or read anything on the net, including messages ,email, social media etc.
        And my last few summer vacations of 3 weeks I travel without a laptop/ computer.. It’s liberating and relaxing (and I have 3 small business which I use the net and email heavily for). Returning to a simpler life is most enjoyable!!!

• Trish
      February 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM

About time.. I sometimes think there is lots of time (ie: way too much time) and mental energy put into using and ‘checking’ smartphones/cell phones all the time. and like Connie says.. ‘What message does it send to your children when you stare at a screen at the instant it beeps at you when you are talking, dining, playing , interacting with your children! ” the message may be “My phone is MORE important than you!!” Ask yourself that!!

5. Gabriella
    April 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM

This sounds exactly like me, but with one exception….I CAN’T GIVE UP MY IPHONE!!!! LOL

6. Stephanie
    StephanieReply
    April 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM

I gave up my smartphone about three weeks ago, and instead got a (dumb) feature phone. If you haven’t already, try that. You can text with your brother and be reachable when you need to be, but you will continue to be free of the constant beeping, buzzing, etc of notifications. Not having easy access to FB, Twitter, etc whenever and wherever has allowed me to really focus on the people and situations around me. It’s liberating.