The Loud Hockey Parent

Categories:Kids, Thoughts
Tags:, , ,

I finally met that one loud hockey parent.

You know the one…

They have to make a comment on every little thing the kids do on the ice.

They try to be the honourary coach of the team and belt out instructions like it’s their job.

They stand up, yell and wave their arms about when they are really passionate about a play gone wrong or a ref who made a bad call.

When they stand up, they tend to block the view of the ice surface for those who are sitting behind them (which is what happened to us a lot during this particular game).

hockey ice rink tournament

The yelling really gets to me. Especially when it is the parents yelling at the kids. It’s just a game. These players are only 7 and 8 years old. Let them have fun and play. This isn’t the NHL people. We have to remember, minor hockey is for the children. I especially loved this quote I read in an article where the author states, “They don’t have to adjust to us; we have to adjust to them. We have to make certain we’re not in any way, spoiling their experience.”

And I know this kind of behaviour is not just limited to hockey. It happens in all sports.

My personal thought, why yell at all? Do the kids even really hear you out there? Especially, when they already have their coaches feeding them their instructions? I just don’t get it.

I was so stressed after one game because of all the yelling. I couldn’t take it. I felt so drained afterward. I don’t know how the kids can handle it.

Back to my encounter with the loud hockey parent. At one point she starts to yell, “hey (insert community name here)! You’re a player short! YOU’RE A PLAYER SHORT!”

I had to laugh. If she had not been so busy yelling, she would have noticed that her team got a penalty and that was why they were a player short for their next face off.

1. Shannon
    January 30, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Ugh. I have seen a coach (opposing team) yell at his players from the bench (11 year old girls hockey) and it was obnoxious and unnecessary.

The other was when I heard the opposing soccer coach tell her players to “Take out #9!”. THAT #9 was MY kid! Hubby took care of that one by chatting with the league. It just doesn’t make sense.

January 30, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I find it is worse when the yelling comes from the coaches. I also cringe when I see that.

And yes, no one should ever be advocating violence. Things are just getting way too competitive for my liking. These sports should be fun.

2. ashley p
    January 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I agree with you – it drives me nuts to hear about. So far, we haven’t really enountered it, but we have just begun our journey into sports

January 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I saw parents like this when my brother played hockey and it made me scared to put my kids into sports.

3. Lori N
    January 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I am right beside you on this one Brandy. I have such a hard time watching Jaxsen’s hockey games because of these types of people. I don’t really care if I am a “hockey mom” if part of that is listening to people belittle not only the opposing team players but often their own :(

January 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Thank you Lori! I wasn’t sure if I should write about this. But I had to share the funny part at the end.

4. AMotherhoodBlog
    January 30, 2014 at 12:12 PM

And how embarrassing as a kid having your mom yell like a buffoon from the bleachers. Unless it’s happy yelling “Yay! Go team!” then sit down before you hurt yourself! ;)

January 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Yes, don’t people realize how embarrassing it is? I don’t know how this person’s friends could stand to sit next to her. In her defense she also yelled a bunch of positive things. But in all the yelling, she didn’t realize what was actually going on in the game. And that is what made it in the end somewhat funny.

5. SL
    February 1, 2014 at 6:06 AM

If the yelling isn’t, “Yay! Great job!” for all the teamwork, then a vow of silence should be adhered to. Seriously. It just makes the games gross. Stressful and tense and who needs that?! Sorry you had to deal with that!

February 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Yes, I wish some people would just sit quietly. It is very stressful.