The Library: In My Happy Place

Library Books Happy Place

A few weeks ago I was asked to be a substitute librarian in one of the local elementary schools.

I was so excited!

I hadn’t been in a school library in a long time.

Especially not behind the circulation desk.

As you know, or maybe not if you are a new visitor, I used to be a young adult librarian in a high school library. It was a great experience and one I miss so much. I still dream about my library. I have been back a few times but it is just not the same.

I was a little scared of what would await me in an elementary library. But I have often wondered what it would be like to be a librarian for that age of kids. I had never read stories aloud to kids before (kids that did not come from my womb namely). But I read to the kids and they loved it! I loved it. It was so fun.

It was nice to see how excited the kids were to be in the library. Often my high school students were not excited to come and visit me. I think they believed it was some form of torture to go to the library. So, the excitement and happiness was quite the change for me.

Being back in the library reminded me of how busy a school library actually is. Students coming in for their book exchange and staff members needing assistance in finding resources all at the same time. You need to be on your toes at all times.

If I ever get a job in an elementary school library I will definitely need to work on strengthening my back. Shelving books on such low shelves sure did a number to my achy and old back.

I cannot wait for the day when I get to return to my beloved library. I miss being surrounded by books and learning. I am excited for the prospect of teaching library skills to kids and having them be excited about it too.

What is your dream job/career? Is there a profession you feel you are just perfect for?

1. Peady
    April 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

This is wonderful!

I was so happy to hear you went back to the library as an elementary school librarian! There’s nothing better than little kiddos with a newfound love of reading and libraries!

I hope you get to go back – often!

Good for you!

April 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I hope I get back there soon too! It’s truly the place where I belong!

2. Gingermommy
    April 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

My daughter loves library day. It helps when the librarian is nice too ) I am living my dream job, working for myself from home

April 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Nice and friendly librarians make all the difference! That is awesome you are living your dream job! I never thought of myself as working from home but I somewhat enjoy it. ;)

3. Heather Atton Cook
    April 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

I’m blessed to be doing the job I was made for … working in EMS. Even though I’ve always been a writer and consider it part of who I am … working in EMS is just… ME. I always feel like myself at work :)

April 28, 2014 at 12:43 PM

That is fabulous! My dad was a volunteer EMT in my hometown when I was growing up. It’s not something I could do but sure appreciate those who do it! Good for you!

4. Christine
    April 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM

How awesome!! I’d love to be a librarian for the day!! And I’d prefer an Elementary library! My daughter’s school library is only open on Thursday.

P.S. I’m pretty much have my dream job… working from home is fabulous :)

April 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM

That is strange that your daughter’s library is only open on Thursday. Is it a really small school?

Love that you are enjoying your dream job!

5. Jennifer (momvstheboys)
    April 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I can totally see you as a librarian!! perfect match! I’m too loud to ever work in a quiet place lol

April 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Thank you Jennifer! I absolutely love it and miss it. I was a librarian for 6 years (2002-2008) at my old high school. It was perfect match like you said. Funny thing is, I can be loud. And on days when I didn’t have classes in the library, and on many mornings, I would turn up the music on my computer and sing while I was shelving books. hehe!

6. Angie@Echoes of Laughter
    April 28, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I love the library too! I used to volunteer on a weekly basis at the library at my kids school when they in elementary school and I LOVED it! I absolutely adore kids books and reading to kids and some kids books are SO fun to read like Shel Silverstein, etc. And I loved reading to kids! I actually miss volunteering in elementary school now that my kids are in junior high and high school. Such nice memories!

April 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM

That’s great that you volunteered while your children were in elementary school! It is always good to be part of your child’s school community.

7. Nancy
    NancyReply
    August 6, 2015 at 6:47 PM

Wonderful news Brandy! I know how much you dreamed of being back as a librarian. It makes my heart full of joy for you.

August 6, 2015 at 6:52 PM

Thank you Nancy. This was a post from about a year ago when I subbed for a few days at one of our local schools. No library job yet.