Books That Inspire From I Can! Kids! #Giveaway
“Imagine children everywhere, walking around with confidence, setting goals and developing a plan to accomplish those tasks, knowing that they have the strength and courage to accomplish anything that they set their mind to. These children will dream big. Anything is achievable, anything can be accomplished. These same children grow up; they continue to accomplish remarkable things; they contribute significantly to our society; they change the world.” Source: I Can! Kids! Website
As a young person I never had any self confidence. I was overweight, a good student, and bad at sports. As such, I was picked on a lot. If I had received some encouragement, maybe I would have grown up feeling better about myself and my abilities. Maybe I would have dreamed a little bit bigger for myself and accomplished the things I set out to do.
Now that I have kids of my own, I want them to grow up knowing that being confident does not mean they are arrogant or think highly of themselves. They need to know that they can dream big and that anything they want in life can be theirs if they put in the hard work and dedication that is needed to achieve their goals.
My kids are big fans of hockey. So, the book from I Can! Kids! I immediately gravitated towards was “Work Hard! Play Hard! Dream Big!” I just knew it would be an instant hit with my boys.
The great part about I Can! Kids books is that you can personalize the stories to fit your family. My oldest, Big Boy, is now 9 years old. So, he became the star of this particular book. I also included two of his closest friends and his younger brother, Little Man. Each character is mentioned several times throughout the story.
I had Big Boy read the book and answer a few questions. Here is his little review of the story:
- Where does the story take place (setting)? In a hockey rink
- Who are the main characters in the book? Big Boy, G, L and Little Man
- Without giving away the ending, what takes place in the story (plot/main events)? Big Boy was playing hockey with G, L, and Little Man. Big Boy won a draw to play in the OUA. Big Boy scored a goal in the OUA game. Big Boy was very excited.
- Use one of the following prompts and write 5-7 sentences about your book. (I’m wondering… I noticed… This book reminds me of…I can’t believe… The book was confusing because…) This book reminds me of playing hockey. I like scoring goals just like the main character. I play hockey with my friends G and L. Hockey is fun. I play hockey in the atom league.
- Would you recommend this book to your friends? Why or why not? I would recommend this book to my friends because it’s funny.
- How many stars do you give this book (out of five)? 4 out of 5
That’s my Big Boy. He is a man of few words. (Well, only when he is asked to do work that resembles school work. Otherwise, he talks non-stop about anything and everything going on in his life.)
“Word Hard! Play Hard! Dream Big!” is a story about a young hockey player and his team. Before one of the practices the team is told that they have a chance to win an opportunity to play with a university hockey player during a charity game for kids. The coach then asks the players what they think they will need to do in order to be entered into the draw. The kids come up with amazing answers such as giving it their all and listening to their coach. So, for the next few weeks the team plays hard, listens well, practices lots and everyone tries their best. A winner is selected to play with his favourite player on the local university team and in our story that player is my son, Big Boy.
I love how encouraging the story is. It really drives home to readers that hard work and dedication will eventually pay off. I would highly recommend that you check out the books from the I Can! Kids! company. We received a digital copy of the book we selected. However, hard copies are available. To see what books I Can! Kids! offers visit www.icankids.com/ibook/index.php/book/book_list and see how easy it is to personalize your own book! What kid would not love being the star of their own book?
I Can! Kids! has generously offered me 1 hardcover book and 2 ebooks to giveaway to you, my fantastic readers! (Giveaway extended and will end on Friday, October 17th at 12:00 am Central Time)
- Leave a comment and tell me which book from I Can! Kids! you would like to order.
- Share the giveaway with your friends through Facebook or Twitter using the following text below and leave the link in the comments section (for verification purposes).
- Enter to win 1 hardcover or 2 ebook codes from @icankidsbooks on @unwrittenlife’s blog @ http://bit.ly/1CraHOp #giveaway
Disclosure – The products mentioned in this post were supplied by I Can! Kids! As always, the opinions expressed in this review are honest and my own.