Wordless Wednesday: The Sock That Almost Burned The House Down

Brandy

Sock That Almost Burned House Down

This, my friends, is the sock that almost burned our house down.

Yes, maybe that is a wee bit of an exaggeration but had I not found it, who knows what could have happened!

Here is the back story. When the boys get ready for bedtime they are asked to throw their dirty clothes downstairs where they will be later taken to the laundry/bathroom for washing. This was something I did as a kid as well. However, our basement was not finished. We threw our clothes down a wooden staircase into a black hole of hard, cold cement. It was a scary basement full of bugs and spiders. I still cannot believe I used to go down their regularly to do laundry. Now, I have nightmares about that basement.

Thankfully, our basement is finished. So, no such worries. Or so I thought.

High on one of the stairwell walls is a wall sconce. This wall sconce is open on the top side of the light. That means nothing is covering the very hot bulb inside.

One night the boys thought it would be funny to see how high they could throw their socks into the stairwell that goes down to the basement.

Luckily, that one night Little Man told me that his sock was stuck on the light sconce. I was able to see and remove it immediately.

However, a few nights later I was not aware that another sock (balled up this time) had made it into the sconce. It could not be seen. It was not until I was getting ready for bed myself and I had the downstairs light on for some time that an unusual smell began to waft through the hallway by the boy’s rooms and bathroom.

At first I thought there was something on fire behind the walls in the bathroom. I started to freak out. I texted the husband while he was at work for night-shift. I would not be able to go to sleep until this mystery was solved.

I could not figure out where this smell was coming from.

I had made my way up from the basement once again (one of the last of many times I had gone up and down while searching for the source of the smell) and happened to look up at the light sconce. There was something blocking part of the light. I thought that was odd. So, I grabbed one of my kid’s mini hockey sticks and began digging around in the top of the light. Sure enough, guess what popped out? The above burned sock. The husband walked in the door just as I was able to show him the culprit.

The boys sure got a talking to the next morning. And both deny that it was their sock.

(Sorry I know this wasn’t really a wordless post for Wordless Wednesday but how can you not write something about the picture you are posting. I have a difficult time remaining silent apparently.)


Author:
Brandy Reid is a stay at home mom to two very active and hockey obsessed boys. As a former YA librarian, Brandy loves to read and is obsessed with reading everyday whether it be books or blogs. Brandy proudly admits that she is a wee bit addicted to social media, especially Twitter. She also believes that everything in life you can related to the iconic TV Show Friends. No day is complete without chocolate.

3 Comments

  1. Michelle @ MK2SAHM
    October 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM

    Wow! Glad you found it in time! Thats kinda scary!

  2. Jessica @ Just a Mum?
    October 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

    Glad you caught it, Brandy! That could’ve turned out badly.

    • Brandy
      October 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM

      It scares me to think about what could have happened that is for sure!

Please Leave a Reply