Goodbye Elf on The Shelf: We Won’t Miss You

elf on the shelf

Shh…

Don’t tell my kids but our Elf on the Shelf, Elfie, has left the building.

Little cute, mischievous Elfie went to a new home. Where he will be loved dearly I am sure.

Last year Elfie did not even make an appearance at our house.

The one thing about the Elf on the Shelf is that he is easily forgettable.

Just as I would get comfortable in my bed I would suddenly remember… THE ELF!

Ah dang it!

Out of bed I would pop and up the stairs I would go to find the new perfect hiding place for him.

Which is why last year, Elfie did not even come down from the North Pole.

I guess he had better things to do.

Like help Santa make toys for all of the good little girls and boys.

The boys asked a few times if he was coming back. I just shrugged my shoulders and said, “I don’t know.”

This year we have been lucky and they haven’t asked yet.

I just found the whole charade so hard to keep up with.

How do you out-do the last appearance? What other crazy antics can this little guy get into?

I know Pinterest is full of ideas but some of them seem very outrageous. I just don’t have the time or energy.

How about you… do you have an Elf on the Shelf?

If you do, what kind of trouble does he/she get into while at your house?

I am a participant of

NaBloPoMo.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

November 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I am unapologetically anti-elf-on-the-shelf.

I think these things kill the magic and wonder that are so important to children at Christmas.

I am glad your Elf is awol. I hope he finds happiness and gets to be hugged wherever he’s going.

Don’t touch the elf or you’ll kill the magic!? *pfft* Good gravy! How horrid is that?

November 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM

He was a little creepy. There was just too much work involved. Sadly, my oldest asked tonight if Elfie would be coming back tomorrow.

• peady
        December 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I am really not a fan.

It’s one of those things that will work for some and not for others, of course, but what a stress! Who needs it?

I wish you luck!

2. alyssa
    November 28, 2014 at 2:18 PM

We don’t have an Elf and I would probably end up in the same situation, forgetting to place the darn elf! I forget the tooth fairy business half the time and that’s bad enough!

November 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I am so bad at remembering the tooth fairy business too!

3. theknitwitbyshair
    theknitwitbyshairReply
    November 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Nope I am totally against it. Seriously I’ve seen too many crazy things and though uh no

November 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM

The only thing I enjoyed was a certain blogger who ran an Inappropriate Elf on the Shelf contest the last two years. Now those were funny.

4. Forever In Mom Genes (@LisaThornbury)
    November 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

We “Elf our shelves” here but I agree… it’s gets a bit long in the tooth after awhile. This is why… wait for it…. we’re making/asking/letting our older son (who is wise to the whole Santa thing) do it this year for his little sister. He’s excited and can’t wait for the antics to begin. And I can’t wait to sit on my lazy butt and watch. :)

November 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Aww, your son is just the best. I love how he takes such great care of his little sister. Cannot wait to see what antics your Elf gets into!

5. AlwaysARedhead
    November 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I have loads of fun with Kevin, my Elf on a shelf but my kids are older. They had so much fun hiding him on me! http://alwaysaredhead.com/adventures-of-kevin-my-elf-on-a-shelf/

November 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Now that is an interesting twist – hiding the elf on the parents. I like that! hehe

6. imashleymi
    November 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I did Elf on the Shelf last year. It was a nightmare! Like you, I forgot and would have to get up early, or get out of bed at night or, run and relocate while F was peeing or brushing his teeth. I don’t need to add another task to my day, and I kind of found it creepy to look at too. Especially when I forgot he was peering down at me. Yikes.

November 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM

He does look at you in a creepy way. I don’t like it when people look at me.

Glad some people are agreeing with me on this.

7. Gail
    GailReply
    December 1, 2014 at 6:19 AM

I’m very lucky, because my kids are older (I have a 23-year-old daughter and a 14-year-old son). I did not even know about “Elf on the Shelf” until two years ago. Whenever I’ve asked my son about this, he makes it clear that he hates this thing and thinks it’s really creepy. So, no “Elf on the Shelf” for us!

December 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM

You dodged a bullet! Hope you have a great holiday season!

8. Journeys of The Zoo
    December 1, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I have no idea what the Elf on the Shelf is about or what he’s supposed to do. Guess I’m not missing much. Glad you got a few extra minutes sleep this year.

Besos Sarah
    Journeys of The Zoo

December 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Hehe, thank you Sarah. The extra sleep would be nice, if I got it. Night owl here.

9. Carolyn Leanne Béchard
    December 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM

No Elf on a shelf here! I’ve never been a huge fan of telling kids that he’s ‘reporting to Santa’ if they’re naughty. Kids do naughty things, they’re still learning and that’s just life.

December 7, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I love your thoughts that kids are still learning. That is so true. They should be given a break sometimes.

10. HappinessSavouredHot
    December 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I resisted the elf on the shelf for a long time. I try and stick on the minimalist side, and that purchase did not fit my values at all. Then last year, my husband suddenly came home with it. At first I was annoyed. Then I started thinking about what the elf would do that night, and I have to admit – I got excited. 24 days later, I was still enjoying it fully – no need to mention how much the kids did! So the elf on the shelf does have a role in our house, but that is only because we all LOVE it. And I think that is what matters. Don’t do it “just because”. Do it because you enjoy it. I apply this wisdom to Christmas baking: I hate baking, therefore I will NOT spend hours in my kitchen this month. It’s all about doing what fits your personality! :-)

December 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Yes, we need to do things we actually enjoy. Such a good lesson to remember.