Dandelions Quote Brave Enough Say Goodbye Paulo Coelho

In June 2008, I made one of the toughest decisions in my life and resigned from my position as library specialist at my former high school.

I absolutely loved my job as the young adult librarian. It was actually the perfect for me.

However, at that time in 2008, I was the mom to a two-year old little boy. I was commuting to work in a town a half hour away. In the winter time, that highway can be treacherous. Especially when you are leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark. Semi-trucks know no boundaries and if the highways crew from Cranberry Portage was not already out, I had to make my own path to work. Many times I was driving white knuckled and extremely tensed to work. It does not help when you already suffer from anxiety and a twirl into the ditch made it even worse.

Other reasons that factored into the decision to leave the library was that between daycare costs, vehicle upkeep, gas prices, life costs, I was basically working for nothing.

So, with a heavy heart, I left my beloved library.

New opportunities were on the horizon for me though.

That September and October I began a position as a child care worker for our local Read to Me Program. I also started selling Usborne Books at Home (perfect for the former librarian).

But another opportunity came my way that I could not turn down.

A friend asked me if I would be interested in working with her on a contract position. She thought I would be perfect for the position because of my technology knowledge and my dedication to producing great work. The responsibilities of the position included researching all of the early learning and child care programs in our community and then I would be creating promotional materials to advertise those programs (i.e. website, flyer, booklet, etc.). Other research that I needed to conduct was to find out the various ways in which to advertise that these programs were available to our community. I also had to find out the costs of radio and newspaper advertisements and other methods of advertising in our area. That first contract period was extremely busy and time-consuming. But it was very worth it.

After I submitted and presented my final report to the group I was asked to return for another contract period. This time my friend took a step back and let me proceed on without her as she thought I no longer needed her guidance. I was asked to return a few times over the next few years to keep the website updated and to make sure the community knew that this excellent resource was available to them. Not every contract was right after the other. Sometimes there would be a few weeks or even months between contracts. It just depended on when the funding would be available.

My last contract with the group ended this past June. At the time I also had a contract with another group to do an even bigger job, a regional website advertising the early learning programs in our entire health region. That contract ended in September.

Anyway, the first group I worked with contacted me and asked me if I wanted to continue working with them for another contract period. After thinking about it for a few weeks I decided to let the contract go. It was a very difficult decision to make. I wasn’t doing the job for the money because honestly, I was not making a whole lot. (Although, I will miss having that extra money coming in.)

I kept taking on the contract because it had become a part of me. (I felt like it was my baby. Strange analogy I know.) However, along the way I realized that I was just not as passionate about it as I once was. I did not feel challenged by the work anymore. I felt like I had taken the position to the highest point I could and now, it was time to move on.

I am not sure what I will do next but whatever it is, I know I will take on the challenge wholeheartedly.

They say when one door closes, another opens.

I look forward to going through that new and exciting door.

Image Source: Unsplash & Jason Long

I am a participant of

NaBloPoMo.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

1. Katy @ Experienced Bad Mom
    November 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM

First, love the new blog look!
    Second, I can relate with the driving in the snow thing. I yi yi – last winter nearly killed me mentally. I’ve gotta get my snow tires on soon.
    Finally, I’m excited for you to see what comes next!

November 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thank you so much Katy! I really appreciate your visits and comments. :)

2. Maman Loup
    November 5, 2014 at 1:45 PM

For 2015 I have to reevaluate the contracts that I’ve taken on— for a lot of the same reasons!

November 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

It’s hard to let go but at the same time, somewhat freeing! Onwards and upwards!

3. Anna
    AnnaReply
    November 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Brandy – you are so talented! How about writing a book? Love reading your blog.

November 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Thank you Anna! I have thought about writing a book. About what I am not sure.

4. Brandi
    November 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM

It’s so true that when one door closes, another opens! You are a smart young lady, so you will do well at anything you choose to do :) Good luck Brandy!!

P.S. Love the new look on the blog ;)

November 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Thank you so much for the lovely compliments Brandi!

5. Jenna Em
    November 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It’s good that you’re being honest with yourself that your contract just was not fulfilling. Good luck finding the next opportunity.

November 10, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Thank you Jenna! I cannot wait to see what is next for me.

6. Aeryn Lynne
    November 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM

It just goes to show how different employment as a whole is so different than when our parents and grandparents were looking for jobs. They were expected to be highly loyal to one company alone (maybe two… three would be stretching it) for their entire lives. And though many of us were taught that same concept in public school, it’s a highly different situation for us. I think the average # of jobs a person is to have these days are 5 to 8 maybe? And much higher of course for those of us that work by contract. Sometimes I think i would have been happier with that one life-long career, but I couldn’t tell ya what industry I’d have wanted to work in, LOL. Looking forward to hearing what door you’ll be walking through soon! <3

November 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It is crazy how much the world has changed in the last few years. I know even for myself it is hard to fit everything onto two pages for my resume because I have held such a variety of positions over the course of my career lifetime (so far!). And thank you for visiting Aeryn Lynne!

7. Randa @ The Bewitchin' Kitchen
    November 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Sometimes making these decisions can be so hard! Good for you for making your decision for you and not for others. It’s a tough call :)

November 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

It was very tough to let it go, but it was time. Thank you Randa!

8. Monica
    November 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Like Katy, I love the look of your blog, so clean and uncluttered. Change is never easy, but I am going through some change in my life right now too and take solace in your quote, “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello”. Here’s to new hellos!

November 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM

It is hard to face but I love the quote… we are going to rock our new HELLOs! Thank you Monica!

9. Yashy Murphy (@YashYanthi)
    November 7, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I can totally identify with this! I’m going through a similar thing right now… good luck for the future and I’m sure you’ll find the right ‘job’

November 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Thank you so much Yashy and good luck with your future career!

November 8, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Good for you for being ready to move on! I’m sure there’s a perfect job out there waiting…

You just need to find it!

November 10, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Thank you so much for your encouragement Peady!

• peady