Scale Weight Fitness Healthy Lifestyle Changes

I used to weigh myself daily.

It was a great way to check in to see how I was doing in regards to watching my weight. Some may have called it obsessive. (Yes, it probably looks that way from the outside.) I admit that I was obsessive about weighing myself. But when you grow up and live your entire life as an overweight person, it is something that is constantly on your mind. (I often wish I could turn off the switch in my brain that worries about my weight constantly. It would make life a whole lot more enjoyable to live that is for sure.)

As of late, I have not been checking in on the scale as much as I used to.

Honestly each time I stepped on the awful thing I dreaded it. I feared what it was going to yell at me. And when it did show my weight, I just wanted to throw the darn thing against the wall and watch the smashed pieces fall to the ground.

Currently, I am at a weight I never thought I would see again. (Over the 150s, my highest ever was in the 190s.)

When I am at my best, I sit between 142-145 lbs. I call that my equilibrium weight. The perfect weight for me. I have never been able to maintain a weight under that, even though I have desperately tried. But 142-145 lbs seems to be where my body wants to be. It just feels right.

I am not counting calories on My Fitness Pal. I am not weighing or measuring my food like I did when I was on Weight Watchers. I am not exercising as much as I should or could.

Instead, I am trying to change what I eat throughout the day. And we have changed up what the children are eating as well.

I noticed that we were constantly taking things out of the snack cupboard.

Morning snack = snack cupboard.

Afternoon snack = snack cupboard.

The majority of snacks from the snack cupboard are packaged and processed foods. Unless I get the motivation to bake something that is what we have to choose from.

So, we started buying more fruits and vegetables. I even prepared some of the veggies (cucumbers, celery, peppers) for easy snacking on the go by chopping them up and having them front and centre in the fridge. I started putting more vegetables on the kid’s plates at lunch time too. There was some resistance at first but I am finding that they are eating most of it now.

A few months ago we actually stopped cooking vegetables at supper time. The kids were more apt to eat the vegetables if they were raw instead of cooked. This does not bother me in the least as it a) makes supper preparation much easier and b) apparently most of the vegetable’s nutrients are lost during the cooking process anyway (or so I heard). Add in a great dip and you have the perfect side for your meal.

I am eating steel cut oats in the morning and I top it off with either fruits or a mixture of nuts and hemp hearts. I also eat greek yogurt and add in cinnamon, honey and fruit to liven it up.

The other day I decided to check in on my weight and I noticed that I had lost 2 lbs since I went away to Blissdom at the beginning of October. It’s not a whole lot but it is something. I am not sure if anything we are doing above is the main cause of the loss but I am OK with it. I just hope I can keep up whatever I am doing right and that the scale will keep moving in the downward direction.

Of course the day that I weigh myself we go out for supper with my dad and step-mom. I ended up stuffing my face with Chinese food. It was so good. But I felt so bad afterward. And then, there is the Halloween chocolate. This stuff needs to leave my house immediately. Now, I am afraid of what the scale may yell at me.

Hopefully, I can remain strong and wait a week or two before I step on the dreadful step of lies again.

How often do you weigh yourself?
Have you made any chances to improving your health?

Image Source: Freedigitalphotos.net & Stockimages

I am a participant of

NaBloPoMo.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

1. Angela
    AngelaReply
    November 13, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Way to go Brandy!
    Those changes sound like great, doable changes in your life.
    LOVE the look of blog too :)

November 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Thank you Angela! I just hope I didn’t already gain back those few pounds. hehe

November 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I have come to terms with my scale. It’s a jerk and it knows it. :>

I am not my weight. I have fat. I am not fat.

I have fingernails, too, but I am not fingernails. :)

The trick is knowing what makes you feel best. You find a way of eating that fuels you and makes you feel happy of mood and strong of body. It’s a journey for sure!

Also, the scale is one measure – only one – of the awesome you are.

It’s merely a tool. Learn to put it in its place.

November 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Exactly! Well put Peady! I love seeing your comments on my blog. Makes me smile. :)

• peady
        November 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Yay! Thanks!

Aww. Well, good! :D

It only takes a few seconds, but it sure is nice to know that the blogosphere is filled with people and not just crickets and tumbleweeds, isn’t it? ;)

3. Anna
    AnnaReply
    November 13, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I think I should weigh myself daily but haven’t.
    I have this “dang, I’m ok” delusion until I realize that my knees hurt, I have plantar fasciitis and I see people running; then it hits home.
    I’ve gone from wanting to lose weight so that I look like Taylor Swift (don’t hate me!) to being very serious about the health implications if I continue on the way I am!
    Lose weight for health not looks is my motto!
    I want to one of those old crazy ladies doing wild impossible things.

November 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

I have come to realize that I will never look like Taylor Swift or those super skinny celebs. I just want to be healthy and know that I am definitely not there right now. Someday I will be. Small changes at a time.

4. Mrs. AOK
    November 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Congrats!
    I do not own a scale, I’m afraid of them. :)
    Snacking is tricky, but you seem to have it down.
    I do not care much for oatmeal, but steel cut oats… I love them!
    All the best~
    XO

November 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I am a bad snacker, especially at night. Trying to improve that as well. I need to find balance. Thank you for popping by again!

5. imashleymi
    November 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Oh, Brandy, the ways this speaks to me! I threw out my scale a couple of years ago when seeing my weight slip under the “healthy” level had become something I aimed towards. I now weigh myself once in a while on the scale at my boyfriend’s or at the doctor’s office. I realized that losing 5, 10 or 15 pounds wasn’t the way to be happy – choosing to be happy is the only way I can be happy.

You’re beautiful, talented and fabulous and the scale has exactly nothing to do with that.

November 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Aww thank you so much Ashley. I really appreciate you popping in to comment.

I should throw away my scale. It really isn’t a good measure of how I truly am as a person.

6. Amanda
    November 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM

When I work out I am obsessive and weigh myself daily which is horrible because it can be very discouraging. When I am not working out I try to stay away from the scale it scares me.

November 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I need to learn to stay away. But I need to start working out more… :)

7. Journeys of The Zoo
    November 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Congratulations on choosing a healthier lifestyle and one that you can likely keep up with. I think that’s key.

After The Kids were born, I started to weigh myself, several times a day. So, I solved that problem by giving away the scale. It’s not the first time I’ve done it. In fact, I’ve given away at least 3 scales in my life (note that other people give us scales, I guess they figure we need one and/or they want to use one when they come visit).

What would happen if you gave your scale away?

No matter what you choose, you’re fabulous just the way you are.

Besos, Sarah.

November 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Thank you Sarah! I am trying but this weekend was tough with having to go to two birthday parties and then hosting our kid’s as well.

I should give my scale away but then I don’t want to make the person I give it to mad. Eek!

8. NPC
    November 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I feel you. I used to watch the scale everyday. I stopped but, that also means that I’ve gained a lot. But, when I feel the need to get back on track. I will. :) Keep doing what you are doing, you are doing great!

November 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Thank you N! You will get back on track and I know you will do well.

9. Jenna Em
    November 17, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Congratulations! I weigh myself about once per month. In January, it will be 2 years since I lost and maintained a weightloss of 80 lbs.

November 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

You are truly an amazing inspiration Jenna! I have followed your weight loss journey and am amazed at how awesome you have done! Congrats!

10. Jennifer Van Huss
    November 17, 2014 at 4:34 PM

You go girl! You are an inspiration!! My prob is I’m a late night snacker and an emotional eater!! Chocolate makes everything better right?

November 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Thank you Jennifer! I am going to make a few more changes and hopefully the scale will start being more friendly.

And chocolate does make everything better!

11. Little Miss Kate (@LilMissKateCo)
    November 17, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I am taking part in a weight loss challenge with my local moms group, where everyone who loses 4% of their body weight is a winner. It has been good at curbing the amount of Halloween candy I am eating. While normally I don’t weigh myself very often I have been checking in every couple of days just to make sure I am on the right track.

November 17, 2014 at 9:47 PM

That sounds like an awesome challenge! Good for you for doing that. I should probably join a challenge to give me a little extra push and motivation. And I hear you about trying to stay away from the Halloween candy. I actually gave a wee bit away in my kid’s birthday party loot bags this weekend. Shh, don’t tell on me please. :)

12. Ladena
    November 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

I do not weigh myself often but have tried so hard to lose weight. I too am stuck at an equilibrium weight. I am going to try to change things again. I want to feel better about the way I look. I’m aiming to lose 5 lbs first, then we’ll see.

November 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Change is so hard. Good luck to you in your quest for better health!