Social Etiquette Pass The Salt Manners

Last night my youngest Little Man and I went out for supper with my dad and step-mom.

My dad is not really technology inclined. He still owns a flip cell phone people! And he has no desire to go the smart phone route. He calls me every once in a while with an inquiry on how to use their printer or their laptop. I try to help as best as I can. I was always the one who everyone went to with their computer troubles but my skills have not been the greatest they could be as of late though. Oh, and get this… my dad and step-mom are not even on Facebook and still refuse to join.

Anyway, a friend of my dad and step-mom’s loves to send them those forwarded emails that beg you to pass them along. I have to say that when my dad told me about this video that he received, I just had to share it.

It goes to show you just how little social etiquette we have left in this world. I hope that I am raising my kids to be more conscious of what they are doing when they are out and about socially (or even while sitting at the dining room table with us).

What manners or lessons do you try to teach your kid’s and/or family?

I am a participant of

NaBloPoMo.

NaBloPoMo November 2014

November 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Cute!

Yes! The art of conversation is becoming more and more rare. It’s a skill! Teach it!

:D

Fun post!

How was dinner?

November 10, 2014 at 10:56 AM

It is totally a skill! Supper was great. I may have ate too much (takeout Chinese). I passed out on the couch afterwards. hehe!

• peady
        November 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Oh the sweet heavenly carb coma that follows a joyful feast of Chinese take-out! Pure joy! :D

Me? These days I’ll stick to Beef and Broccoli. ;)

2. Julie Bedard
    November 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I (hate to admit) that I am an occasional offender of having my cellphone at the table. But that is very rare and although I don’t have teenagers yet, we would never want the kids to have their phones at the table which is the reason we try not to, but sometimes things come up. anyhow, we definitely try to have table manners, when I say we, I mean me because, well Hubby doesn’t mind it as much as I do. Right now we are working on not talking with your mouth full (for my 9 yo stepdaughter) and not picking at your food (for my 6 yo stepson). :)

November 11, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I know there is the odd time I have had my cell at the table but I only check one thing and then move it away from the table area. We have been trying to work on chewing with your mouth closed for our nine year old.

3. Catherine Burden
    November 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Cell phones, any technology must stay away from the dinner table always.

November 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

It is a good rule to have.

4. Kelly @ City Mom
    November 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM

We have a strict “no technology at the table rule” and I know we will stick to that for life! We don’t even answer the home phone during dinner!

November 10, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I started not answering during dinner as well. It’s usually telemarketers anyway. (Only people who call our landline.)

5. Lauren
    November 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM

This was hysterical! When I go to dinner, I actually turn off my phone and leave it in my bag, because otherwise I lose myself and forget to interact. My mom didn’t even have a cell phone until I gave her an old one of mine. I tried to get her a smart phone and she refused it, so the phone she’s using doesn’t even have a camera, lol.

If I had kids, I think the most important thing I would try to teach them is to be in the moment. I’ve missed a lot because I was lost in my phone, or my own head, or just too distracted. I don’t know if that makes any sense or not.

thank you for your comment on my blog — you helped immensely. :)

xo

November 10, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I do the same with my phone if I am out with friends. I barely go out as it is and I want to connect with them, not my phone.

And you’re welcome. I am glad that I could help you in some small way. :)